These macarons are the perfect vehicle with there chewy shells for carrying the flavours of sweet and savory fillings. With a little practice, they are quite simple to make.
300g Credé Natural Oils Almond Flour
300g Icing sugar
Vanilla seeds of 2 vanilla beans
7 egg whites
300g Castor Sugar
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon Water
1 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup cream
- Combine the almond flour and icing sugar together. Put it into a food processor and blend utill smooth. Sift it together.
- Mix three egg whites with the sifted flour mixture to form a smooth paste add the vanilla seeds.
- Place the remaining three egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment. Beat until frothy.
- Meanwhile, place the castor sugar and water in a pot and cook to a temperature of 119 C, brushing the sides of the pot with a wet brush to prevent sugar crystallization.
- Continue whipping the egg white on low speed while slowly adding the syrup, be careful to avoid getting syrup on the sides of the bowl and the whip.
- After all the syrup has been incorporated, increase the mixing speed to medium high and whip until the sides of the bowl are cool to the touch. The meringue will be glossy, firm, and form a medium peak.
- Fold one-third of the meringue into the flour/sugar paste. Incorporate thoroughly. Fold in another third of the meringue and incorporate thoroughly. Fold in the final third of the meringue.
- Continue folding until the mixture is soft, shiny and flows evenly off the spatula.
- Using a spoon, spoon the mixture into a piping bag.
- Using even, medium firm pressure, pipe 5cm rounds onto silicone baking mats.
- Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Bake approximately for 11 – 12 minutes.
- Cool completely before removing from the baking mats.
- Make a slight depression in the center of the inverted macarons with your thumb to allow for more filling.
- Fill the macarons with your choice of filling.
To make the chocolate ganache
Bring the cream to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and poor over the chocolate chips.
Place the lid on chocolate chops to trap the heat and let sit undisturbed for 5 minutes.
Remove the lid and whisk starting in the center and working outwards until smooth. It will turn into velvety ganache.
Put it in the fridge for about 15 minutes.