This is a recipe to keep for your repertoire. I make these wings for picnics, lunch boxes, starters or for a meal on its own. It is so super easy to make, and won’t ever fail you! You can enjoy it on their own or dip them in a Chimichurri sauce. I paired this recipe with Bonnievale’s Sauvignon Blanc. This well balanced, medium bodied wine compliments the dish very well.
Chimichurri is an uncooked sauce used for grilled meat, this traditional chimichurri recipe is incredibly versatile. It come from Argentinian cuisine. Serve it over charred steaks or as a sauce for a mixed grill. I find it to work incredibly well with the sweet chilli wings.
Sweet Chilli Wings
2 kg chicken wings
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon sesame oil or sunflower/canola oil
¼ cup sweet chilli sauce
2 tablespoons of honey
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
¼ cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 big bunch flat leaf parsley
Handful of coriander/mint
60 ml red wine vinegar
30 ml dried oregano
5 ml cumin
5 ml salt
4 garlic cloves
1 ml chilli flakes
30 ml paprika
250 ml olive oil
Sweet Chilli Wings
1. Preheat the oven to 180C
2. Cut each wing into 3 sections, discard tips or keep the wings whole.
3. Combine the remaining ingredients in a large zip lock bag, shake well until it is mixed.
4. Add the chicken pieces and massage the sauce into the wings.
5. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
6. Drain the chicken pieces and reserve marinade.
7. Place chicken pieces on a roasting rack over an oven tray or place them in a deep baking dish.
8. Bake for 1 ½ hours or until chicken is crisp and cooked through. Brush the pieces with reserved marinade several times during cooking.
1. Place all the ingredients in a food processor except the olive oil.
2. While the blade is running add the olive oil gradually until everything is mixed.
3. Let it stand for 30 minutes before you use it.
Get Bonnievale Wines HERE