I am always on the look for kiddy friendly wine estates…that looks after their littlest guest like VIP’s as well as mom and dad.
So, in no particular order, my favorite kiddy friendly wine estates…so far
1) Eikendal – you may have driven past Eikendal every day and never known the treasures that await you! As a mom, it should be on your go-to list…the play area, superb food and its beautiful setting make for a wonderful day out with the kids.
They are one of the few wine estates that offer a kiddies tasting right alongside mom and dad’s pizza and wine pairing. Or explore the estate on a tractor ride or simply relax next to the dam for some fly fishing.
2) Mont Marie – ah Mont Marie…my happy place! I absolutely love this gem and everything about it. It may be the most mommy friendly places I know. They offer a seating area in the kids play area so you can keep an eye on the little ones while still enjoying your lunch and the amazing view! The menu, although basic, offers tasty food and you will be well looked after by all the staff!
3) Mulderbosch – I came across Mulderbosch quite by chance one day and I am so glad I did! Mommy friendly, kiddy friendly and just plain amazing and their awesome seating areas…perfect for parties or a get-together with friends.
Their speciality is wood fired pizza with yummy toppings that will make you drool!
4) Spier – a wine estate that has been around for many years and that remains a firm favorite with many a visitor. Spier offers a picnic area, great spot for lunch or simply an afternoon out with the kids.
Eagle encounters, wine tasting, deli, Hoghouse BBQ and bakery, craft market and gift shop. There is so much on offer at Spier that you could spend a whole day here and not be bored.
5) Dornier – gourmet for mom and dad, but for the kids, heaven! Their huge ship-like jungle gym is proof! Seated outdoors on the patio, Dornier is a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
6) Warwick – what a fabulous picnic spot to take the little ones! Their baskets are great value for money and you will take delight in the sheer joy your kids get from simply being outdoors at this wine estate. On hot days, let your little ones splash in the fountain area!
But for something really different, why not take the kids on a Big 5 Vineyard Safari, where the Big 5 animals are compared to the Big 5 grape varieties.
7) Vergelegen – this wine estate is like an old friend that you love to visit. The vast gardens, the kids play area, the heritage, and the food…all play a part in making this one of the most popular wine estates in the area. As a mom, I look for places where my tots can be free and happy – and the play area and gorgeous garden paths that beg you to meander through them (and kind of want you to get lost), offer exactly that!
8) Tokara Deli – With views of Simonsberg Mountain, abundant olive groves and beautiful vineyards, Tokara Deli offers a relaxed and kiddy friendly environment in which to enjoy a delicious breakfast or a light and seasonal lunch. The deli offers treats for both the kids and mom and dad, plus a very unique outdoor play area!
9) Joostenberg – I love the wide open spaces where kids can run free at Joostenberg. I love the yummy food and the fact that there is so much on offer here! The deli is filled with gorgeous treats from everyday necessities to that specific something for a special occasion. Fresh cut flowers, Joostenberg wines at cellar door prices and a selection of delicious home cooked meals, ice creams and desserts. Browse through their range of dips, salad dressings and mayonnaises, all prepared in the kitchen right on the farm. This is a perfect family friendly spot any day of the week!
10) Vredenheim – There is so much to do and see at Vredenheim….not only is it a wine estate, but they are home to big cats (lions and leopards), they have a huge kiddies play area to ensure that your little ones are kept entertained throughout your visit. With views of the Helderberg Mountains, Vredenheim is definite must-do!
Thanks to Jean Olivier for this article